[Cob] bad idea/good idea??

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Tue May 31 07:37:13 CDT 2005

Don't know.  Eons ago, when I first got interested in Straw Bale, I saw a
notice for a bale-raising somewhere in New Mexico, to wrap a single-wide
trailer in bales.  Not quite sure how they were going to start the project.
It's pretty common around here to put a free-standing roof over a
single-wide.  I assume that's what they would have done there.

Seems like somewhere recently I've seen pictures of some sort of wrapping
(bale I think) on a building.  Not sure where--either the building was
located or it was published--or what they did.  But I remember some
discussion of where the windows ended up--towards the outside of the bale,
IIRC.

Tying them together will work only if you are absolutely sure that the bale
wall won't move--either from the bales settling or frost heave or an
earthquake.

Copper Harding wrote:

I hope everyone is out in the dirt enjoying their
summer cobbing projects!!  Myself, well, I got into a
"discussion" with a friend about doing a strawbale
wrap around the north side of a building.  I am
curious if you build your stemwall only wide enough
for the cob (load bearing part of the building)...

Would it be possible AFTER you finished the building
to build an on-grade stemwall outside of the cob wall
and place a strawbale wrap on top of it?  Would you
need to tie it into the cob somehow?

I'm assuming regular exterior finished of the
strawbale to look similar to the cob.  Would you need
to tie in the stemwall "addition" to the old stemwall
(somehow, somewhere :)

I'd love to get feedback on this as I thought it was
an intruiging idea...

Thank you,

Copper

Ms. Copper Harding

If you can walk, you can dance
If you can talk, you can sing  --- from Zimbabwe

When you're out of balance
   gravity tends to get you down. -L.L. Harding

P.O. Box 125
Hawley, MN 56549
www.copperharding.com