[Cob] fire brick?

jane at kirstinelund.dk jane at kirstinelund.dk
Wed Jun 1 12:50:36 CDT 2005

I have read a little about fire bricks. Somewhere they are said to contain
grog (already fired clay used as temper in the clay that makes the
bricks), and in other texts they talk about a high content of aluminium.
Maybe these are the two kinds?

If you use real fire bricks (a opposed to normal bricks) it shouldn't be
necessary to replace the bricks. From what I have read normal bricks
should be able to stand the violent temperature shifts of an oven about 30
times, but fire bricks will endure it more or less eternally. It may
depend on the oven type, though. I was reading about finnish mass ovens.

Jane