[Cob] Fire Bricks, Ovens, etc.

ocean ocean at woodfiredeatery.com
Thu Jun 2 09:17:07 CDT 2005

Well researched posting, Jon!

In our commercial cob oven, Kiko used firebrick for the base (cooking
surface) then built the dome of the oven out of a mix of clay and grog
(pulverized fired clay) to avoid spalling.  You can see pictures of the
oven and a sequence of Kiko building it on our website at
http://www.intabas.com - just click "Maya's Home Page"  Kiko also made
use of "refractory cement" to form a pumice-crete entry arch to the
oven; this is a form of Portland cement with a very high alumina
content.

Ianto also used firebrick as the back panel of a Rumford hearth he
helped us build in the cob Kiva at Ahimsa Sanctuary.  The firebrick
both conducts and reflects the heat into the thermal mass and into the
room being heated.

This said, there is also another kind of firebrick available, which I
believe is made with pumice (judging on how light it is).  This might
be used when building a chimney or fireplace and wanting to insulate
surrounding wooden frames.  So you must specify whether you want
"refractory" or "insulating" firebrick!

Ocean Liff-Anderson
Intaba's Wood Fire Eatery
http://www.intabas.com