[Cob] soil cement foundation

JUDITH WILLIAMS williams_judith at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 3 08:46:45 CDT 2005

Sounds like we are at about the same stage of construction. Ordinarily I
would be frustrated at the slow progress (of digging) but in this case I
really appreciate the time to consider all the options as I work. Here is
what I have almost certainly settled on for the stem wall over the rubble
trench foundation. I will go with earthbags filled with a mixture of soil,
large  pumice, and lime. This eliminates the need for any forms and is
something I can do without assistance. The only concern is that the filled
bags will be too heavy to handle but I'm sure I could get innovative about
that. Earthbag Construction by Hunter and  Kiffmeyer is very helpful on a
lot of subjects. I have sent for a sample bag from a manufacturer but have
not checked my mail in ages so..... But that's it. I went last night and got
perforated pipe for drainage in the bottom of the trench and will be out
there again today doing whatever needs to be done.