[Cob] wood & cob

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 19 20:41:46 CDT 2005

All true.  But also there's likely to be little or no topsoil in cob.  More
in the way of clay/sand.  WELL compacted.  Not terribly attractive to
various insects.  (Also remember that the fiber is--or should be--STRAW, not
much in the way of seeds or leaves or other edibles.)  If you see termite
tunnels going up the stem-wall, knock them down.

Clint replied to Mike:

On Sun, Jun 19, 2005 at 02:52:31PM -0700, mike poindexter wrote:
 > how do you keep wood timbers from rotting while embeded partaly in cob ?
 > (wood & dirt dont mix well)

Cob is bone dry when it's kept covered by a good roof.  There's no
moisture to rot the timbers.  And since there's no moisture...

 > what about bugs? (termites, ants etc.)

...most bugs don't like really dry places.  I suppose termites or
carpenter ants could eat exposed timbers in cob, but they can do the
same to wood frame houses.  So the same guidelines apply.

			-Clint