[Cob] great article!!

Quinn quinn1 at mindspring.com
Thu Jul 14 17:57:11 CDT 2005

Copper,

I'd like to read that article, but I don't want to have to register for another site where I'll be getting mail from.  Any chance you could post it?

I think its exciting that they've finally thought of this and are able to test it.  I haven't done any cob work myself, but read a lot and have long thought that a rope (or ropes) embedded in the cob (I would do it around and around as you built up the structure to work against shear) would be the answer to the problem of earthquakes.  I had no way to test this, though.

However, I'd use a natural material (hemp?) not polypropylene or whatever for this reason:  have you ever encountered a plastic bag stuck in dried mud?  When you pick it up the mud pretty much peels right off-- it doesn't attach to the plastic.

Now, what about a natural material like a jute rope?  [I guess I've spent a lot of time picking up litter!  : )  ]  If you try to pull a jute rope out of mud it really sticks.  All the little fibers and 'hairs' attract the mud and adhere to it.  Much better than plastic.  And, embedded, I wouldn't worry too much about decay.

Anyway.  Thanks!
Quinn Montana