[Cob] great article???

Barbara Roemer roemiller at infostations.net
Fri Jul 15 01:46:37 CDT 2005

I disagree with Ocean.  Earth buildings have a very spotty history in
seismic zones.  With particular waves, they are deadly.  To get any cob
structures through CA code, or any other spot with seismic considerations,
it will take some kind of cohesive exoskeleton or internal web, something
much more continuous than the straw in cob.  It is true that adobe bricks
crack both at the joints and within the bricks.  That's why unreinforced
adobe is no longer code approved in most states.  In the same way that bale
builders in seismic zones have worked their way from internal pinning with
rebar to external pinning with bamboo and other materials, or to netting
with very strict protocols to withstand shake table testing that simulates
powerful quakes, cob will have to follow suit.

Barbara in a quake zone.

Ocean wrote, in part:
>Adobe brick structures are weak, because the building is made of individually
dried bricks mortared with clay slip - lots of