[Cob] great article???

ocean ocean at woodfiredeatery.com
Fri Jul 15 00:33:33 CDT 2005

Actually, the article is pretty silly, since it misses the point of cob
altogether!!!  Adobe brick structures are weak, because the building is
made of individually dried bricks mortared with clay slip - lots of
joints which shake and fall apart when the big earthquake hits.

Cob, on the other hand (which we should be experts on - "cob-listers")
is a monolithic structure with thousands or millions of strands of
straw running throughout in a randomized matrix, hence the lack of any
joints which can crack under shear force...

The suggesting of adding jute, hemp or poly rope is moot.  And
apparently the "scientists" in the article haven't heard of cob, and
are thus drilling holes through adobe bricks trying to create a
monolithic earthen structure!!!  Maybe someone should write to them...

Ocean
http://www.intabas.com
http://www.peacemaking.org