[Cob] Solar Design

Barbara Roemer roemiller at infostations.net
Sat Jul 16 00:10:35 CDT 2005

Amanda wrote:
> Does that mean that the whole world CAN use solar design principles?

And

> If all you can afford without a  2-hour commute is three acres on a really
steep north-facing slope, you  shouldn't even think of building?

Yep, and nope.  I think Dan would argue that even the simplest, least costly
building is a better one for our awareness of solar design principles.  He's
done quite a bit of low-cost building design, and is keenly aware of all the
costs of dependence on fossil fuels absent solar practice.  I don't think
he'd confine solar practice to building only south-facing structures.  My
son bought just such a parcel as you describe.  For several months we've
walked around to see how we could take advantage of solar design given his
30% grade, north-facing slope with only a few level spots.  He's removed a
few trees, captured enough light for a good garden, taken advantage of the
even northern light with new windows, bermed the cabin, doubled the thermal
mass, maintained large windows on the south side, added eastern windows to
the bedroom, provided for drawing in low, cool air and venting high warm
air, and shaded the western side with a roofed deck, all reflecting
awareness of solar design in the retrofit. Dan's point is that "half the
goods" in natural building/sustainable practice is in awareness of solar
design principles.