[Cob] Solar Design

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 15 22:48:43 CDT 2005

True but.  Does that mean that the whole world CAN use solar design
principles?

It does sound a little elitist to me.  If all you can afford without a
2-hour commute is three acres on a really steep north-facing slope, you
shouldn't even think of building?   (this happened to a friend near
Nashville--the house they built was small, efficient, but probably never got
direct sun at noon in the winter--I doubt that it was oppressive because
there would have been lots of reflected light from across the street)

Barbara Roemer quotes Dan Silvernail (snipped from her snipped):

solar design most often
plays second or third string to other concerns such as site issues or budget
constraints.  It must not.

...(L)et me cajole my audience to remind and avail ourselves of solar design
practice.  Let's know it better, increase our understanding, assign value to
it, implement it, assign it priority, educate our clients to it and make
them commit to it as a personal goal.  Our doing so will diminish the
unwholesome relationship that dependence on fossil fuels now brings, and
optimize the benefits that true (natural building) practice can bring.