[Cob] RE: Coblist Digest,

Bob & Lorraine farmlink at bigpond.com
Wed Jul 20 17:22:52 CDT 2005

Some time back someone was looking for ways to get rid of carpenter
bees.  Here are a few tips I have just seen on another messageboard.
They may be helpful.
Lorraine.
In regard to carpenter bees, you can spray them in the hole with WD40.
It works great!  My husband has gotten several this way. ~Nancy

Relative to Carpenter Bees-I ended up pushing a metal coat hanger down
into the hole to smash them, then plugged the hole. I found that they
will bore into redwood treated with penetrating oil. They usually start
where there is a C'bore, indent or hole already present. You could try
plugging as many defects like this before they start boring. I found
that plugging a hole did not stop them if already in the hole (they just
bored a new way out) If you plug the hole when they are out, they will
bore a new entry adjacent to the plug. ~Jim

I have had great success getting RID of these dang things by making a
thick slurry of Tide detergent and water, put that in some sort of
squeeze bottle, not a sprayer, and pour it into the holes made by the
bees.  It will kill the bees outright, kills the larva in the nests, and
generally discourages the surviving ones from re-entering the hole and
they go elsewhere. I imagine any detergent powder would do the same, I
just used Tide :)  I like that it is not a pesticide spray, so I
felt good about using it on my patio, etc... ~Pat

We had scary wood bores in our carport fascia every year during the
painting of an adjacent fence, we unknowingly left a mason jar soaking
brushes in turpentine about 6 feet below the bees' ceiling
entrance...the fumes wafted, the bees departed, and we never had to
'apply' the toxin. I'm wondering if any really stinky solvent might do
the trick...and obviously, the vented container must be spill proof and
animal proof. ~Linda