[Cob] re: two chamber earth oven question

Peter Ellis dukegavin at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 27 07:46:23 CDT 2005

Amanda and Ray, thanks for your responses.

Ray, I appreciate the invitation, but I'm in Joisey.  The spiral wrapping of
the chimney on your pizza oven is interesting.  I had already been
considering taking a page from the heated cob bench and possibly running the
flue around inside the cob walls of the oven.

Amanda, I don't have any drawings as of yet, but I expect I will take some
photos of the process when I build the oven, in about two weeks.  I'll see
what I can do about posting those, and perhaps the ones of last year's
single chamber as well.

In the absence of pictures, let me try and describe the idea in text.  My
oven goes on a set of sturdy sawhorses (it's a temporary installation for
two weeks in August), so I don't have a foundation in a conventional sense.
What I'm planning right now is to build a cob rocket stove at a height of
about 2 feet above the ground, probably on some cinderblocks.  The chimney
of the stove will rise up to the height of the oven and go through the oven
wall, so the hot gases from the stove swirl about inside the oven and heat
it before venting out the oven mouth (just as they do when the fire is in
the oven).

This particular setup has the risk of being rather fragile, what with a sort
of "freestanding" chimney between stove and oven.  OTOH, it's an experiment
that doesn't have to work for very long, and if the rocket stove part fails
I can always patch that hole up and just use the oven as a single chamber.

I have in mind building a permanent installation at my home, and possibly
using two rocket stoves, venting into opposite sides of the oven.  Seems to
me that might help get to an even heat a bit faster.  In a permanent
installation the stoves would be integral to the foundation of the oven
structure.

Peter