[Cob] locating a rocket stove north/south?

Yun Que yunk88 at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 29 10:03:59 CDT 2005

   Cat here!

   I too have been considering just that!  I have a bread oven that I am
   planning in my celler I have an option to place it in the center or on
   the north wall (my celler is not buried but on the west and open to
   the elements on the N.S.E sides)  I still get a cool space just from
   the one buried wall and the north side that is covered with Maples.  I
   am leaning twords a central location so that I can use the N. wall for
   wine storage wich I will stack those terracotta water pipes up against
   and cob in to make nice little cool cubbys for my wine.  Peach is on
   the list an elderly nighbor has given me his harvist, he gardens for
   something to do and gives the produce away.I will give him some
   bottles for his pleasure.  I will cover the wine wall with a set of
   rolling glass patio doors that were scavanged from a remodel.  I have
   a set that will also cover my larder.  I have never liked going into
   someones cold storage having them pick some cranking cobwebbed jar
   from a scungy wood shelf wiping it off on thier jeans and offering
   with a smile as something I should eat!  Soooo sorry.  I am white
   washing the walls, putting tile on the floors with a drain for wash
   out and making the walls of thermal glass.  Like a walk in cooler.
   the celler is cool and dark enough to keep the food well but it will
   not feel like I'm pulling it out of a desserted cript!

   I have a stair well door in the floor that I may convert into a grill
   to allow heat from the oven to come to my living area.  And am putting
   in a lift (dumb waiter/tress) a friend reminded me of the sexist
   conotations.  the lift will bring wood to the second and third floor
   and also allow me a cool place to put cheese and such.  sort of a
   fridge I can lower into the celler and haul up when I need cold
   stuff.  I have no electric so this would of course be best on the
   north wall.  However the layout of the kitchen the the floor joists
   don't lend themselves to that so I will construct the lift shaft as a
   structural support adding mass with cob and brick to keep it cool.  I
   will dig a hole in the cement floor that is degrading anyway to get as
   much of the earth cold as I can.

   Check out the old milk closets that were used before refrigeration and
   such.  some were attached to spring houses and the cans of milk were
   set into troughs of running water.  Others were shafts and boxes
   placed in the north side of the house and drew air from the celler
   when possible.

   My wine will be insulated from the heat of the stove by some thermal
   glass panels that I have scavanged from nighbors and demolition
   sites.  I don't have any hard and fast soulutions to your situation
   but possibly my think thru on my project will help you with yours.  It
   seems that their are no real answers just general directions.  Each
   job has its own needs and it's all reletive!  Matierials available,
   climete, structure, personal needs and expectations, as well
   individual energy levels.

   Let me know if my ramble helped!!:)
   for the good of all C.