[Cob] thatch

JUDITH WILLIAMS williams_judith at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 25 09:01:51 CDT 2005

Your mention of thatch caught my attention. I'm working on a round cob
building, really a sleeping tower over my water tank and have come up with
no roof I like except thatch. I have many books on cob construction, all
recommending thatch but all agree that few in this country know how to do it
and materials are hard to find. I live in New Mexico. We don't have a lot of
marshy areas but I have noticed places where cat tails are growing. I
thought of getting some waders and cutting a few to experiment with. Do you
know of anyone (you must since you have a thatch roof) who teaches or
advises on thatch? Your upcoming weekend sounds great. Wish I could be
there. Maybe another time if I have more time to make arrangements.