[Cob] RE: solutions for housing shortage

Mary Lou McFarland louiethefifth at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 3 11:04:23 CDT 2005

I had read an article somewhere that Rob Roy was trying out building
cordwood on a gravel berm instead of a rubble trench, kind of like the berm
used to hold up railroad tracks.  After the floods of '93 we saw excessive
tree die off from being in the standing water.  Since the same thing will
happen in the New Orleans area you might as well start harvesting them for
cobwood construction.  If the flood waters have heaved concrete then maybe
you could scavenge enough for an urbanite structure.  I don't know how long
it stays warm  down there but you could also consider a double walled
tent/house built on an elevated platform.  I had also read about the
elevated tent houses as year round housing in northern California.  Does
your friend have an address or a way for us to get supplies to her?  We
aren't heavy in the money department but we can clean out our closets and
send clothing, etc.  I do not trust the current administration to do any
real help so would prefer to help on the grass roots level where you know
that  what you do to help actually goes to those needing help.  Please keep
us updated.