[Cob] Cobbing in Washigton, DC

Raduazo at aol.com Raduazo at aol.com
Sat Sep 3 14:43:51 CDT 2005

Well, the bench at Tuckahoe is pretty much  finished. (I have a few pictures
if anyone is interested.) It was made with a  combination of rototiller cob
and kid stomped cob. The kids who ranged in age  from first grade to 6th grade
level did a remarkable job. You have to make some  allowances though. they will
never do as well as adults and you need to settle  for wet cob and not build
too fast. I scheduled my cobbing days at Tuckahoe so  that there were at least
three drying days between each of the building days and  did not push for
speed or volume.
    There were two techniques that I used with the  kids. The first was
conventional tarp mixing. I went through a batch with one  group of kids then
handed it over to the second team to put on the wall. Started  a second batch then
left the kids in the middle of the batch and started a third  batch and then a
fourth batch with additional groups of kids going from tarp to  tarp to check
progress.
    The kids to not want to roll the tarp enough but by  the end of the day
they were rolling it without prompting.
    The second method that I used was slab mixing with  a rototiller. Here we
put out about 1-2000 pounds of mix on a parking slab and  rototilled it. Then
I gave the kids a hose and had them water and mix with their  feet. After a
short time (When the top surface seemed pretty saturated) I called  them off
the pile and rototilled it again, then gave them the hose again and had  them
continue mixing.
    After a while we had sections of the pile that was  too wet and portions
of the pile that was too dry so we put out a tarp and put  shovels of wet on
the tarp and toped that with a few shovels from the dry side  and had the kids
refine the mix on the tarp.
    Then shoveled the mix in to wheelbarrows and rolled  it to the wall. One
batch that used only adult workers used only tiller mixing  and went directly
to the wall from the slab.
    Anyway the wall has been capped with paper/cob  plaster. WE plan to let
it dry for a week and paint this with linseed oil and  then coat the vertical
surfaces with lime plaster.
    I will be posting dates and times for the lime  plaster coat for anyone
interested in learning this technique. It should happen  some time in mid
September.
Ed
Ed