[Cob] Tires For a Foundation?

Dognyard dognyard at stockroom.ca
Fri Sep 16 18:02:17 CDT 2005

beno wrote:

> Well, I thought the tires would give form: like big flat boulders upon
> which to build.No slippage.
> Actually, I read in the archives (after posting) a couple years back
> that apparently this is done...even used in walls!
> beno

Hi!

It IS done...in earthship construction. They use tamped sand in tires,
and the tires are stacked in staggered rows (like bricks), and long iron
bars are driven down through each row (or it may go completely from top
to bottom...I'm not sure) so the rows are knitted together. Then any
above ground tires are plastered over to protect them and to help keep
them stable.

I'm no authority, but I can't see why that wouldn't work for a
foundation...but you may have to have that outer shell of
concrete/cement for stabilization. I'm not sure. I don't know enough
about it, and a lot may depend on the climate (freezing or not). Most of
the earthships I've read about are in arid areas.

You could cruise the internet and do a search on Earthship Construction.
There is a lot of information available out there.

Karen in Alberta