[Cob] New Member

francine fran2000a1 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 16 22:20:49 CDT 2005

Welcome Leigh Ann! Glad to hear from another cobber from my
part of the world.  I am about 2 1/2 hours south of you,
not far at all.  Not a lot of cob workshops in the area.
But there are some over in North Carolina I think.  About 3
yrs ago I bought 3 acs in the country (no building codes
here).  The hardest part is over, I have dug the foundation
trench.  For the past few months I've been busy gathering
tons of rock (with help from my neighbor) for the
foundation and many of the materials I will need to build.

Unfortunately, I find that I may have to move.  My
grandchild is special needs and I may have to sell and
relocate closer to him and help his mom.  Bummer, all that
work - but he comes first! Now I may have to start over.
If I don't wind up having to relocate, then I will be
starting the next stage of building soon.  Perhaps I should
go ahead with building just for the experience, and I
might!    Totally self taught so I'm using the books out
there that are available.  But if I get that far this year,
I would feel lucky to find someone to come and cob with me.
 Right now I am experimenting with soil cement, interesting
results.

Here's hoping you find some workshops in our area.  If you
do please let me hear from you.  I am looking for one that
is close to me and at a time I can attend.  When you start
to build, perhaps you will let us know also.  It would be
great to attend some work parties.

There a couple of others on the list from TN I think, and
some fellows in Birmingham are building also.  This is a
great place to learn, there seems to be lots of experience
and good advice here.

Fran