[Cob] New Member

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 16 22:38:17 CDT 2005

I live about as far as you can get and still be in Middle Tennessee--down
near the Alabama border.  Don't think we're the only ones, though.

The Farm sometimes has workshops--a tiny bit closer to you than I am, that's
not saying all that much, you might check on them--they've got at least some
of their '96 courses announced already:

http://www.thefarm.org/etc/courses.html

There is or was some sort of natural building thing in Lexington KY, and
something up in East Tennessee (or was it Western North Carolina?)  If you
want I can fish them out of my inbox.

There are natural building activities that will help you gain experience,
whether you are doing cob, straw bale, earthbags, etc.

Plastering, earthen floors, making ovens, maybe some stonework or cordwood
masonry (although as a foundation material termites might get that), would
all be useful things to participate in.

This is generally a good list.  Shannon slaps our hands when we get too
off-topic, sometimes it gets dead for a while--it helps to have new people
asking questions.

Leigh Ann wrote (snipped):

   We live north of Nashville, TN, so if anyone here knows of any cob
   workshops, cob work parties (or just need a cob hand) near me, please,
   let me know!  Also, we very much would like to make some cob friends
   in our area....so we don't feel like cob fanatics!!  LOL!