[Cob] Tires For a Foundation?

beno beno at web.vi
Sat Sep 17 05:49:42 CDT 2005

Amanda Peck wrote:

> My problem with the idea of tires as a foundation for much of
> anything--except more tires--is that there are going to be places
> where the circles just touch--how did you plan on 15-20" cob walls
> spanning this?

What my idea was is to simply backfill the area inside the circle with
rammed gravel. Your idea of cutting off the tops of the tires is a good
one. That makes them easier to ram AND easier to screw together. If
necessary, we'll screw them to a circle of tires behind the main circle
to cut down any movement. Then I believe the whole foundation would be
stable. And thanks for the links!

As I re-think this, perhaps a row of tires behind isn't necessary.
Perhaps rebar rammed into the earth in front of and inside-behind the
tires would be sufficient. Thoughts?
beno