[Cob] Tires For a Foundation?

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 16 21:41:34 CDT 2005

I've done steps with what could be called "topless tires" filled with
gravel.  And I have a large number of topless (one sidewall cut off) tires
to do a retaining wall with.  One of these years.

check out this site--picture at the top is of a tire wall that has been
there for around 70 years apparently with no paint or anything.

http://www.touchtheearthranch.com/tirestart.htm

Here's a goat shed made with topless tires, partly buried in the earth, it
may function the way you expect your foundation to--or you can do the whole
thing--see this site for more information--on pounding tires.  One of the
things the site owner does is build tire houses.

http://www.touchtheearthranch.com/goatshed.htm

Idea for my steps--and Michael Shealey's goat shed--came from here:

http://www.tirecrafting.com/funbook2/funbook2.htm

My problem with the idea of tires as a foundation for much of
anything--except more tires--is that there are going to be places where the
circles just touch--how did you plan on 15-20" cob walls spanning this?
There are ways around it--not sure I love either of the two I know.

Somebody in a book I've long since lost--I think it was by Mike Reyonlds of
Earthship (TM) fame--once recommended cutting tires in half and screwing
them to the lined up tires to fill out the foundation.

Sounds like more trouble than it's worth.

One could also cut BOTH sidewalls off your tires and then they can be shaped
any way you want--like into squares.  Michael Shealy's goat house is made
with topless tires, only one sidewall cut off.  I wonder how stable it would
be if both sidewalls were off.  Might be a case where concrete-fortified
"soil cement" would make sense.

Other non- or low-concrete possibilities for a foundation include
earthbags--these guys did do a house in the Virgin Islands (?) have a
discussion of coral rock.  Very nice book, by the way.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0865715076/102-5033885-9976111?v=glance

Gabions--although more stuff would have to be imported to
make--assemble--them, not sure if your gravel/rock is large enough to stay
in, although they do come with different kinds of wire mesh.

I think they can be a little easier to use than this--famous vaulted straw
bale house, reputedly overengineered beyond belief.   I'd suspect there's a
strong possibility that you don't need to weld them into place, that the
fasteners that come with them will do a pretty good job.  This is a really
fun site to wander around in, by the way.

http://www.potkettleblack.com/natbild/jakubal.html

Beno wrote:
The whole reason for doing this would be to stabilize the foundation. I
envision them as big flat boulders. Now, if I somehow attached those tires
together in a ring and to tires within the circle, all stuffed and tamped
with caliche gravel, as in my diagram, then I believe it would be very
stable. But that's the opinion of someone who's never done it ;) Which is
why I solicit yours :))
As far as my climate, I live in the Dominican Republic, so I'm not too
worried about freezing <g>. It's not tropical but close to tropical where I
live.