[Cob] tires!

Yun Que yunk88 at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 17 11:26:50 CDT 2005

   Cat here!  Saw a guy give a demo with tires as a foundation for a
   bench.  Well its just as much digging as you would do for gravel or
   stone.  Only once you have them in place you need to fill those
   suckers up and pound the "H" out of them. No gaps,strech and fill ect
   ect.  This is great for a bunch of big guys with lots of endurance but
   clay settles.  A local told me that clay takes a good 5-7 years to
   settle back to a solid base.  He builds roads for the timber companies
   so I figure he knows.  Well after 3 were in place I was tired
   watching!  the tire is nothing but a container.  My daughter and I got
   a very good foundation going for our goat house with a ditch gravel
   and stacked stone.  It was easier and faster.  and it took a few days
   for us to have things settle. The goat helped by walking over the
   stones and showing us where they were unstable.

   The fellow with the tires did have a great idea for using them that I
   liked better.  Still dirty and labor intensive.  He cut the side walls
   off.  Don't discard where any living thing will be walking.  The steel
   belts will cut.  He slabbed the treds and used them to shingle his
   roof.  Much weight so build for it.  I don't know if I would want to
   drink water from a tire roof but that's for someone else to comment
   on.
   for the good of all C.