[Cob] RE: Coblist Digest, Vol 3, Issue 59

Leigh Ann in Tennessee cobhouses at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 17 13:19:48 CDT 2005

   Thanks for the response to my request to lend a hand to any cob
   projects near the Nashville, TN area!  So far, I have three cobbing
   neighbors:

   Francine, Amanda, and Melissa.....all live south of me.

   As far as the upcoming Kleiwerks cob workshop in Liberty, TN....it's
   been canceled  :-(

   Cob Questions:

   1.  Can support poles inside a cob house be sealed completely inside
   cob walls, or do the poles need to be partially exposed?  We've drawn
   a 32' x 32' cob house (total exterior dimensions), and are planning on
   a simple flat metal roof.  Because of the size we were afraid that the
   cob walls might not support such a large roof, so we decided to design
   the roof with a line of support poles through the center of the house,
   at 8' increments.  We are trying to avoid a complicated roof plan.

   2.  Exactly how load-bearing are cob walls?  How do you calculate
   this?  Is there a simple 'rule-of-thumb'?

   3.  How thick should interior cob walls be?  Is there a minimum
   thickness in relationship to the height of the wall?
   Leigh Ann

   [1]3 FREE months of MSN Dial-up Internet service. Click for full
   details and to sign-up now!