[Cob] vermiculite, pumice, perlite suppliers?

Shannon C. Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Thu Sep 22 09:34:33 CDT 2005

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005, Amanda Peck wrote:

> What's the difference between masonry grade and gardening grade, (which might
> not be available in the gardening sections of the stores, but rather through
> greenhouse or professional garden suppliers)?
>
> Shannon wrote (snipped into nothingness)
> masonery grade perlite

Horticultural grade perlite is open celled in order to absorb and retain
water for propagating plants, masonery grade is closed cell for use as
insulation.  If you use horticultural grade for a stove (as I once did
years ago), it will suck up tremendous amounts of water when you are
trying to mix it with your clay slip (if you don't use lots of water you
won't be able to get the clay slip to coat it), and it will take forever
to dry out, during which time your stove won't be working as well as it
should (after 50 hours of almost continuous running on my stove at the
time, a large percentage of the perlite was still wet, though I was
running a thicker insulation layer than normal).   Don't use horticultural
grade perlite!