[Cob] lifting vigas

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 26 23:06:14 CDT 2005

Not quite sure where to tell you to look for them, or what they're called,
but there are some rope, pulley, and pole affairs that might do that,
putting one end up at a time.

But while it sounds like it could be gorgeous, is your building engineered
for it?  How are you supporting the ridge beam?  (if you're doing rafters
meeting along a ridge, sometimes they use 1x[whatever] lumber.  And I do
know that that isn't the same as a ridge BEAM)   If you've any qualms about
it, how about using it as a support in the most visible end?

Judith Williams asks:

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to lift a huge viga? It will be my
ridge beam and must weigh at least 1000 lbs, diameter of about 24" at the
wide end. A beautiful thing to behold, very old and twisted. I know about
the method of laying 2 vigas as a ramp and pulling the big one up with ropes
but it is not absolutely cyilindrical and probably would not roll. At this
point we are considering hiring a backhoe to lift it with chains. We are
definitely open to suggestions. Thanks.