[Cob] constructing a cob bench

la00 at excite.com la00 at excite.com
Fri Sep 30 13:26:28 CDT 2005

Hi,

my name is laura and this is my first posting on the list.

i'm planning on constructing a cob bench in a community garden near my home in st. louis. as far as i know, it will be the first cob structure of any kind in st. louis. i've done earthen plaster, so i'm familiar with how to mix, but i've never cobbed before. I had some questions and would appreciate any advice.

1. how much of a foundation is needed for a small bench? i was planning on using brick. could i just set the brick a few inches in the ground or should i go deeper?

2. as far as protection from weather, would it be sufficiant to tile the top surfaces of the bench? also where could i find information on finishes that would be more weather proof and also on how to set tile in cob?

3. do you think it's realistic, once all the materials are gathered and the foundation is in, to plan on finishing a small bench in a couple of weekends with a few volunteers with no cob experience?

any other advice you can think of would be great. i'm also interested in connecting with other natural builders in missouri and elswhere in the midwest.

thanks a lot,
Laura

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com