[Cob] has anyone made their own quicklime?

karl and tabitha o'melay karl at omelay.com
Wed Oct 12 02:42:09 CDT 2005

has anyone made their own quicklime? I have been working for a historic
stone mason for the last few months & he told me the other day that he
is going to make his own quicklime. i said i'd like to part of that
experiment. he said that i can do it myself by sticking a piece of
limestone in my wood burning stove (where temperatures exceed 1400
degrees). he said you'll be amazed the piece of limestone will retain
it's shape just lighter. allegedly, when you stick the piece into water
it "reacts" dissolves into lime putty ready to be slacked.

is it really that easy?

has anyone tried to do this?

are there any additional hazards beyond the standard "quicklime is
dangerous stuff"?

k-)