[Cob] has anyone made their own quicklime?

Robert Matthews rob at drtwiggy.com
Wed Oct 12 04:18:28 CDT 2005

Hi
I make my lime putty from roasted limestone.  I buy it pre-roasted. Then
I dissolve in water and it boils for an hour or so as the limestone
re-hydrates. This produces a very exothermic and alkali solution so be
careful it burns from heat and from chemical reaction.  Wear gloves &
goggles and stand well back once it starts to warm up. Bear in mine that
it will expand so only but a small amount in at a time. Use a metal
bucket.  Add lots of water as it will steam and dry out quickly. Then
leave in sealed container for 3 months covered in water.  In the event
of accident rush to a cold shower and remain there for a long while to
remove the alkali lime and sooth any burns. Be warned I have burnt
myself as nearly everyone I know who uses it has.  We learnt the hard
way.
What your friend says seems correct.  Roasting at 140 degrees should
dehydrate it. How long did he suggest roasting it?
Best wishes
Robert