[Cob] is the final word in on rebar in cob walls?

Tys Sniffen tys at ideamountain.com
Tue Oct 18 14:40:24 CDT 2005

I know, I know, this has been discussed before, but it seems I can never
find someone who will state with experience about a yes or no for rebar used
to reinforce cob walls.   Anyone willing?

In  my small experience of building alongside experts, we used urbanite with
spider-y old rebar hanging off it in mid wall, just to gain height and
remove that crap from the landfill.  It's not a total reinforcement, but
it's moving towards it.

The negatives usually listed are that the rebar pulls water out of the
'breathing' wall, starts rusting, gathering more water, etc.

Here in Earthquake country, I just want to be as prepared as possible.

Tys

Tys Sniffen
415.606.7746
Efficiency Consultant:  <http://www.ideamountain.com/> www.ideamountain.com