[Cob] Re: cobtun house - unsustainably expensive?

Rob Hayes rob_hayes at talk21.com
Fri Oct 21 02:53:36 CDT 2005

Maybe things will come for circle? For example houses that have thatched roofs in Britian command more than a houses that don't... so this has meant that in parts of the south west, new houses (admittendly ones in a traditional style) are being built with thatched roofs so that the developers can get more money... maybe the use of cob isn't too far behind? let's hope so + will know the technology works because of the 000s of cob and thatch houses all over the south.

rob

Amanda Peck <ap615 at hotmail.com> wrote:
The O'Malley's may be right, that one upscale house can spawn a large
handful of copycats built for much less.

Joe's probably right about the costs in England. And hiring someone to do
work is often quite a lot more expensive than doing it yourself. Especially
weird work--defined here as "workers not up on the learning curve."

(Then of course there is the ongoing saga of Tony Wrench and his round house
in Wales--a lot of hoops to jump through to get something done officially)

But I was wondering if somebody might not have heavily inflated the price
just to get architects and contractors interested in exploring the medium.

Joe wrote:

"Just where did all that money go?"

Fees, taxes and land mostly. Depending on where you are located in England
the average home will run you 200,000 to 500,000 pounds."Upscale" homes are
MUCH higher. Housing costs are exceptionally high there (I just returned
from the UK less than a year ago) and depending on the square footage
255,000k is a steal for most of the English housing market. Cost is
relative.