Fwd: [Cob] sustainability

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 22 19:22:55 CDT 2005

We wish.

We wish that all the biodiesel in the world was coming from leftovers.  It's
true the people I know who are running biodiesel are making it from
recycling fryer oil.  But.....

But....  Look for rape-seed/canola oil prices to rise as the EU mandates x
percentage of the diesel fuel to be biodiesel.  The supply right now is very
tight because of just that, I read in an article in Planet Ark (Reuters news
stories more or less about the environment, published out of New Zealand I
think) the other day.

The ethanol used in gasoline/ethanol mixures isn't going to come from a corn
crop?  Ummmm.  It is now, and you can also buy dried corn off the cob for
burning in specialized stoves.

Even something like Jean Pain's biogas, expanded to include a fair
proportion of an area will rob the forests there of organic
matter--fertilizer.

I'm afraid that we can't have solutions for everybody (even if the everybody
agreed on the solutions) but we've all got to work out our answers for
ourselves the best we can.   And others will argue, more or less correctly
for the most part, that we could have chosen better.

(in this context it's interesting to go back and look at Judith Moffett's
collections of stories collected as Ragged World, at the Directive from the
Aliens who think we are ruining our nice little planet and they are just the
people to make us stop.  Some read as dated--population and transportation
were the big concerns there IIRC, my copy is loaned out right now--much less
about our main concern here--green housing such as COB!)

Jon Kerr wrote:

The point isn't to  suddenly switch to 'sustainability' methods and open up
some clay  mines and start clearing forests so we can grow canola to turn
into  biodiesel. That's a bunch of Fox-news strawman crap.   Biodiesel
comes from biodegradable LEFTOVERS.