Fwd: [Cob] sustainability

Jon Kerr jonskerr at visi.com
Sat Oct 22 01:11:25 CDT 2005

Begin forwarded message:
<snip>

> Regarding the "greening" of our ever expanding footprint on this
> small globe, my Favorite Elf has a valid point (Hi Perry!).  Any
> construction project will involve an impact on the environment,
> ecosystem, human, animal & plant communities.
>
>> "Your Favorite Elf of the Mall" wrote  :-)
>>
>> I think the original concept in question was the sustainability.
>> Sustainability is an already complex and even fallacious concept.
>> It makes the assumption that we human beings have not only the
>> ability but the control to guide ourselves, plants, animals, the
>> planet and the universe into a more enlightned state of existance.
>> In my opinion, we as humans have only shown exactly the opposite
>> of this. So until we can check ourselves as a species in regards
>> to a more compassionate and inclusive world value system, I do not
>> think catapulting our scattered  abilities to orchestrate a
>> peaceful existance into the mainstream is a very good idea -
>> unless you like open "clay" pit mines and the rest of our forests
>> cleared so we can grow canola crops for "bio-diesel"!

Perry/Elf is too pessimistic, and comes off as a real !@@#$%.  People
for all time have had the opportunity to become enlightened. It
happened to the buddha 2000 years ago, it can happen to us. It's a
matter of recognizing certain ideas, that's all. The point isn't to
suddenly switch to 'sustainability' methods and open up some clay
mines and start clearing forests so we can grow canola to turn into
biodiesel. That's a bunch of Fox-news strawman crap.   Biodiesel
comes from biodegradable LEFTOVERS. Clay is the most abundant element
in the outer layer of our earth. People won't have to mine it, just
dig it from under their own topsoil. It's NOT a fallacious concept,
and if you think it is, then it's still valid for us to do what we do
as a part of natural selection. While the rest of the world destroys
itself, we'll be able to go off and live somewhere in our earthen
huts and survive. Then our descendents will be this new 'species'
you're talking about. Quit your bitching, you're a troll, not an elf.

Jon Kerr

Transylvania Polygnostic University Library Quote Collection:
Specimen #1

"There is no problem so great that Armageddon wouldn't solve it."
-- Doug Fairnet

http://www.visi.com/~jonskerr     O~   <*>