[Cob] Re: cobtun house - more thoughts on sustainability

ocean ocean at woodfiredeatery.com
Fri Oct 21 23:54:55 CDT 2005

I've enjoyed the discussion I seem to have started...I was just
wondering aloud how much the actual cost of the house was to build, and
how much the house might sell for (maybe that's what the listed price
was).  And - could we afford it?

Regarding the "greening" of our ever expanding footprint on this small
globe, my Favorite Elf has a valid point (Hi Perry!).  Any construction
project will involve an impact on the environment, ecosystem, human,
animal & plant communities.  My time spent apprenticing with Ianto
Evans was challenging and instructive, especially his absolute
commitment to utilize as little fossil fuels as possible - both in the
construction phase of the buildings he designs, but also in the
planning of passive solar heating for the building's longer life.

An example:  During construction of the Kiva at Ahimsa Sanctuary in the
year 2000, I neglected to put in one of the large windows Ianto had
specified in the plans.  Our thought was - there's a tree here, so the
southwesterly sun won't really help heat the building anyway.  When
Ianto showed up on the site a few days later, he immediately said -
"Where's the window here?  It was in the plans!"  I explained my
thoughts about the tree and lack of sun.  His response was blunt and
impassioned:  "That tree won't always be there, and I don't want to
make your great-great-grandchildren put anymore carbon into the
environment than they have to."  Half-stunned, we got out a pick and
dug out the cob, and in a half an hour installed the window that was
missing.

Some folks (back then - myself included) seem to think Ianto is "too
extreme".  With stories of him making his apprentices crush drain rock
with a sledgehammer, this may seem so.  But building with no power
tools on site, no caustic cement to worry about eating holes in your
skin, and just the peaceful, slow steady trodding & building with clay,
sand and straw...I have learned that Ianto lives and teaches building
with heart and soul.  I've done a lot of machine mixed "industrial cob"
and poured more cement than I ever care to admit, and have learned in
my experience to respect the admonishment he offered me during the
workshop 5 years ago.  I suspect I will also be telling my
grandchildren the story of the missing window in years to come...

Ocean Liff-Anderson
Steward, Ahimsa Sanctuary
http://www.peacemaking.org
Proprietor, Intaba's Wood Fired Eatery