[Cob] foundations and waterproofing

Marlin Nissen marlin_nissen at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 1 09:14:26 CST 2005

We're in a cold, condensation and wicking type area
(Wisconsin) and have really like a good, well packed
rubble trench (with washed stone, not crushed
limestone in it) foundation below grade with urbanite
or stone on top  of that. The cob does not appear to
get much if any moisture UP into it,,,,,tuffer to keep
water out from the top during the  3 day drizzles then
any UPWARD wicking.

Never tried to make Cob into a waterfall ;-)

Marlin

p.s. moisture stands against non permeable areas and
WON't dry anywhere we've had plastic/styro/ etc.
against and earthen plaster or cob.