[Cob] green preservatives for timberframe logs?

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 5 22:39:04 CST 2005

Bioshield products might help.

Limewash might help.

I tried some asphalt based paint/stain on my exposed wood a couple of years
ago to see if it would keep carpenter bees away.  Lime put on kind of
thickly worked better!

These guys carry at least some of the Bioshield/Livos products, and at least
they're in the right province!

http://www.kootenaywoodstoves.com/paints.php

general information here, on nontoxic paints (not clear sealers but many of
the companies will have both--friends here say that a good coat of PAINT
deters insects fairly well.).

Here's the Bioshield/Livos company in the U.S.--page opens to the wood stain
and preservatives section.

http://www.bioshieldpaint.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=13&PHPSESSID=504b4288823c788d7481830792a6b8ea

Are you sure that the beetle tracks/holes are not showing up AS you peel?
This could happen if the trees were not quite freshly cut.

Anna Young wrote:

We are peeling the bark off the logs for our timberframe just now. The
enviro-friendly deck oil we were going to use is no longer in stock at the
only place in town we could find it. We want to get something on the logs
quick as they are getting a few beetle holes once peeled, even under cover.
Any suggestions on what we could use? Needs to be green as it will go on all
of the log and will be exposed permanently in the house.