[Cob] green preservatives for timberframe logs?

aaron allen cobmailbox at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 6 11:41:25 CST 2005

I used a combination linseed and tung oil on my tipi poles here in oregon and have seen no evidence of insects after more than one year.  may need to be reapplied a couple years in a row for total penetration.  thought about adding neem oil also, but didnt.  I know it works against garden pests.  has anyone heard of submersing logs in oil to treat them?  seems like it could create a natural style "preasure treatment", would probably have to be a comercial operation though.
aaron
cobmailbox at yahoo.com

Marlin Nissen <marlin_nissen at yahoo.com> wrote:
Yea, I don't know, maybe there's some old manuals from the 1800's or something that list preservatives (pre regular insecticide days)? My dad actually used Linseed oil a lot but wasn't as concerned with how fast it dried, so it was cheap ACTUAL linseed and my G'pa white washed (with other stains) old fences and barns....wish they were around and wish I knew!

Marlin

Amanda Peck wrote:

Marlin replied to me--don't think he sent it to everybody. This might
work--how did they get the two to mix?:

"Limewash and linseed oil? That's something that my elders used to use on
the farm."