[Cob] green preservatives for timberframe logs?

Anna Young avjyoung at shaw.ca
Sun Nov 6 09:16:40 CST 2005

Many thanks for the quick replies, you guys are awesome! I think for a quick
solution we will try dissolving borax in water and spraying that on the logs
(will make the borax into boric acid, right?); thanks for that memory jog,
Joe. For a longer-term solution we will order some Bioshield finisher/oil
from out of town, and bug the store here to start stocking it again. Thanks
Amanda and Dave for the links, they will be very useful.

There don't seem to be any beetle holes at the ends, but there are
definitely fresh ones along the log. In debarking I am going over them with
a drawknife with my nose close to the action and never saw a hole. One
(rejected) log looks like it got left in a puddle and the wood is much
damper on one side, along with lots of beetle/termite tracks, but this is
way different from most of them.

Will update if we need to do anything different.

Anna