[Cob] Glass impregnated wood timbers

ocean ocean at woodfiredeatery.com
Sat Nov 12 15:12:06 CST 2005

Kiko and I have used waterglass extensively to seal earthen plasters.
The substance is called sodium silicate, and is available at pottery
supply houses.  Potters use it in a kiln to seal the shelves,
preventing "spalling".  This is a toxic substance when in its liquid
form, so adequate protective gear is needed when applying it (gloves,
eyewear, etc.)

Contrary to Ed's post, waterglass provides a breathable, porous surface
(similar to limewash).  This is why it works well on our earthen
plasters, and I speculate it could be applied to protect wood.  I don't
think it would work well for sub-soil posts, which would be in constant
contact with water and insects, etc.

I've told people we coated the cob wall at the restaurant with
waterglass, and on more than one occasion a former mechanic said he
used it to seal cracked engine blocks!  Also, it has been used to
preserve eggs for years.  (Kiko - do you have anything to add?)

Ocean Liff-Anderson
_____

Steward, Ahimsa Sanctuary  http://www.peacemaking.org
Proprietor, Intaba's Kitchen  http://www.intabas.com