[Cob] Glass impregnated wood timbers

Mark Piepkorn duckchow at potkettleblack.com
Tue Nov 15 06:50:12 CST 2005

>>Joyce  wrote:
>>Does anyone have any information or web sites to reference about a  new
>>timber product I saw on TV (This Old House maybe). The timbers were
>>coated
>>with a glass product of some type, heated to a point where the glass
>>melted
>>into the wood and provided a protective coating that could be  stained -

http://www.buildinggreen.com/auth/productDetail.cfm?productId=2743

TimberSIL Nontoxic Pressure-Treated Wood
TimberSIL is a sodium-silicate-based
pressure-treatment system for wood that relies on
a mineralization process rather than toxins to
prevent infestations and decay. The patented
chemistry and heat-treatment process result in
the infusion of microscopic glass "crystals"
throughout the wood, providing a permanent,
insoluble treatment with no dusting or leaching.
The treated wood is odorless and nonvolatile, is
not corrosive to fasteners, does not cause
excessive wear on tools, and typically has a
brown color to distinguish it from other
treated-wood products. Standard TimberSIL treated
wood carries a 40-year warranty for interior use
and up to one year of outdoor exposure; TimberSIL
Plus carries a 40-year warranty for outdoor
applications, including ground contact. As of
October 2004, this new product is not yet listed
with the International Code Council; approval for
use is granted by local jurisdictions.

What makes this product green:
    Releases minimal pollutants
    Reduced need for pesticides
    Durable or low-maintenance product

Contact information
    Timber Treatment Technologies
    13850 Mack Ave., Ste. 270
    Grosse Pointe Farms, MI  48236
    Phone: 901-754-5176
    Toll-free: 866-318-9432
    Fax: 901-259-1205
    www.timbersil.com

Articles Related to this Product
    Durability: A Key Component of Green Building
- EBN: Feature - November 2005
    BuildingGreen Announces 2004 Top-10 Products
- EBN: Awards & Competitions - December 2004
    TimberSIL Nontoxic Pressure-Treated Wood -
EBN: Product Review - October 2004

This product is classified under the following categories:
    Builder Categories : Structural Systems &
Components : Preservative-Treated Wood and Treatment Products
    Builder Categories : Decking :
Preservative-Treated Wood and Treatment Products
    CSI Divisions : Wood & Plastics : CSI# 06072:
Preservative-Treated Wood and Treatment Products

© 1992-2005 BuildingGreen, Inc., publishers of
Environmental Building News, GreenSpec, EBN
Archives, and Green Building Advisor.

Mark Piepkorn
http://www.potkettleblack.com

Most people would succeed in small