[Cob] Re: rumford fireplace

ocean ocean at woodfiredeatery.com
Sun Nov 20 16:59:50 CST 2005

OK, Amanda has some things correct about the cob oven.  The chimney is
needed if the oven is indoors, certainly.  Outdoors, it's optional -
yes there will be some soot around the door if you don't have a
chimney.  Even though we do have a chimney, some smoke will escape out
the door resulting in a soot "patina" on the front of Maya's face.

How long you fire it depends on what you're cooking!  If you want to do
pizzas or grilling (as we do) we keep a fire in the oven all day, so
the deck is around 650°F.  We take the fire/coals out of the oven when
we cook our artisan bread, and just fire the oven 450-500°F.  Because
the oven is well insulated and we seal it at night with a door, it is
around 350-400°F when we arrive the next morning, which would be
perfect for roasting a turkey (Happy Thanksgiving!)

However, our cob oven burns very clean - the high temperature of the
oven "bakes" the wood completely dry, so it burns near 100% leaving
very little ash and no smoke(!)  The central core thermal clay layer is
surrounded by a foot of pumice, thus good insulation helping contain
the combustion heat.

The Kiva's Rumford cob fireplace also burns very clean, lots of radiant
heat and very little smoke or ash.  Of course, the most efficient wood
fire I've seen is in Ianto's rocket stove design, where a super
insulated firebox results in a 2000°F burn - no ash except a fine
mineral dust, and no smoke discharged, just steam similar to a laundry
vent.

Yes, I would advise buying Kiko's book, if you want to cook with cob
and fire.  But if you want to heat with wood and fire, buy the Cob
Cottage Company's new booklet on the Rocket Stove (much more efficient
than even the Rumford).

Ocean Liff-Anderson
_____

Steward, Ahimsa Sanctuary  http://www.peacemaking.org