[Cob] RE: cob rumford fireplace

Bernhard Masterson bernhard_masterson at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 23 10:48:13 CST 2005

Hello Susan,
    Couple of thoughts on cob Rumfords for you.  There is no reason that you
could not build an outdoor Rumford completely out of cob.  The downside will
be that the cob floor, fireback and covings will wear quickly due to the
thermal cycling and the abrasion of the firewood.  If an anual replastering
was made you would be in fine shape.  To reduce such maintenance most
builders due build the floor, fireback, and covings out of more durable
firebrick.  For best pricing purchase your firebrick from a masonry supply
yard.  The throat can be built with a precast cob adobe that will form the
lintel/mantle.  Just use Rumford's ratios available at www.rumford.com and
you should be in fine shape.

- Bernhard
_________________________________bernhard_masterson at hotmail.com