[Cob] roofing

Thad Feetham tffdesigns at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 7 10:00:46 CST 2006

  Galvanized Roofing for potable water.

  I would not assume that just because water has been collected for hundreds of years that there is no leaching or that there are no problems.

  I respect the reply.  And I admit that I really dont know for sure that leeching of the gavanzation occurs.  Galvanized roofing was not developed for the express purpose of collecting potable water.  I think we can agree on that.

  How to we get the real answer?  The question is:  Does galvanized roofing leech harmful metals into water collected for drinking?  Does this roofing material maintain over time or does it degrade in such a way that older roofing is more likely to leech heavy metals of some sort?

  I thank-you Lance for the reply.  Lets see if we can get the real answer now.  (with a varifiable source)   Anyone?

  Peace
  thad

Lance Collins <collinsl at bigpond.net.au> wrote:
  Hi Thad,

You said

>Galvanized metal would certainly leech into the water.

What absolute rubbish!!. Galvanized steel roofing has been used for
rainwater collection in Australia for a hundred years without any
problems with zinc leaching.

I collect water from my zincalume roof and the water quality is excellent.

Where did you get that idea?

Lance (in Aus)