[Cob] roofing

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 7 10:44:45 CST 2006

True, and at least one of the rainwater collection links (Australian or an
American subsidiary possibly of the same company) mentions that it is not
certified potable water safe, but what with tradition, AND the fact that one
manufacturer has bothered to get approval it's almost certainly OK.

I once emailed a standard metal roofing manufacturer about this--got back a
reply that went on the order of---"No! no no nonono!  There's no problem
with the base material.  Nothing we add is a problem (at least after it's
cured).  BUT BUT BUT we have NO control over  any kind of coatings, solvents
etc. that the people we buy our products from use.  Sounded like potential
lawsuit avoidance weasel-wording to me--they don't clean the base material
before they bake on the enamel?  But he was probably right about his
manufacturing process.

Some of the things that ARE potable water certified sound a lot less
green--brush-on EPDM (listed in the manufacturer's websites, not here), for
instance.

The US link:

http://www.leafbeater.com.au/usa/10steps.asp

"Ensure that the catchment surface is approved for potable water collection:
The following are the most popular roofing materials in the order of
preference: Colorbond Steel Sheet, Zincalume Steel Sheet, Glazed Tiles, well
fired, Concrete/cement tiles, Clay Tiles & Composite Tiles. Some of the tile
types mentioned are occasionally made specifically for potable water
collection. If in doubt, talk to the manufacturer, not the installer of the
roof, and ask for a certificate of classification for the roofing material.
All pipes and fittings used within the system must also be approved for
potable water collection."

The Australian--there are some approved brand names on the site as well:

http://www.rainharvesting.com.au/roof_surface.asp

"Zincalume® has a coating consisting mainly of zinc and aluminium hence its
name, but it does not come in a grade approved for potable water. That does
not necessarily mean that it is unsafe to collect potable/drinking water
from the roof. What it does say though is that it is not "category"
approved."

Thad replied to Lance (snipped into nothingness):

   I would not assume that just because water has been collected for
hundreds of years that there is no leaching or that there are no problems.