[Cob] shelves

Marlin Nissen marlin_nissen at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 13 10:11:54 CST 2006

There could be an engineering calculation about spans
and weight (force) in the middle of the span except
cob varies so much.

It seems to me that you're asking about the shear
strength of a "flat" cob shelf? Instead, if you were
creating a bridge shape, which is an arch and
distributes the weight to the outter walls.
 (see attached drawing)

Otherwise you're exposing the cob to straight DOWN
force which could expose a crack, likely near the
center of the span. I've seen (in pix) sticks or
bamboo shelf structures (horiz. girders) with cob over
them that strengthens the span.....but why not try the
arch? It doesn't have to be a full "Roman arch" even
though that's the strongest but cuts away a lot of the
space of the shelf below.

Cob with a good amount of long straw would (I'm
guessing) be good for the strength of the shelf span.

A little arch will do ya,,,,

Marlin

p.s. great way to experiment with only books falling
down.....