[Cob] Insulation

Shody Ryon qi4u at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 18 09:52:51 CST 2006

If I dig down, I will make use of a *lot* of gravel
and perforated pipe *starting* from *below* my *lowest
point* of constructed elevation (root cellar or fire
pit/furnace?) and at the highest natural elevation of
my site and run them *down* to sun light, if possible.
I hope to have a southern sloped site. Is a southern
slope important in Mendocino County California for
cob? Say around Willits or Hopeland?
Is it a good idea to install a lot of gravel/pipe this
way? If I encounter very hard ground such as bedrock
it could mean weeks of pneumatic jack hammering or
explosives. What does that do for feng shui and wild
life? Are there any explosives experts on this email
list? Don’t have my site yet, but I like to be
prepared.
I would like all my floors on the same level accept
for second story/loft meaning no split level or stairs
up to alcoves. I like my windows to go to the floor,
but with a view. Was thinking of a window sized
periscope mirror set up, but someone probably has a
better solution. Perhaps not dug too deep and nave the
bottom of the window just view the patio inside the
burm, and make that area a Zen garden? What about
trees on or outside the burm far enough away to keep
sun light on the area needed?

Shody