[Cob] wind scoops> earth berms and pyramids

dirtcheapbuilder-Charmaine Taylor tms at northcoast.com
Fri Jan 20 00:28:54 CST 2006

On Jan 19, 2006, at 8:15 PM, MHoop wrote:

> I once visited a pyramid in hot dry arkansas. In summer the first
> floor--one huge room--was dry and cool as the top of the pyramid was
> open and the various floors all surrounded an open center so the air
> traveled upwards in summer creating a lovely cooling system.

In books showing Middle eastern homes and  cooling they show the fixed
Windscoops" built  like a tall  "V" shaped  column.  usually of clay,
these angled walls are set to face prevailing winds... the air  is
"caught" , shoots down the column and cools the home below.  some
scoops  are turnable I would guess... but many are clay brick  fixed n
the same direction

I think Amanda could build one like a Periscope -- pop it up in summer,
turn  to face the wind, and stand underneath for a cool air shower
[grin]

Charmaine Taylor Publishing
www.dirtcheapbuilder.com
  Tel:  707-441-1632   MORE Building DVDs in stock