[Cob] wind scoops> earth berms and pyramids

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 20 11:00:54 CST 2006

Or, without the sealing problems with the periscope (it would be cute,
though!), put up a tower room with (some of) the windows facing the
prevailing breezes, and a generous stairwell.

That's one of the uses for cupolas, with windows that can be operated from
the floor.  You could put a cover over the opening to it in the
winter--two-layer greenhouse stuff so you'd still get daylight.

Cupolas are also good for just letting the hot air escape, especially at
night.  Might want windows on the leeward side for that.

What I've got is a windbreak just OFF my property on the prevailing breeze
side.  A nice tall cupola would still help fairly inexpensively.  Good idea.
  And a nice weathervane on top.

Hmmm.  What kind of weathervane might a cob house need?  Dragon? Large tree
to symbolize the roots of the house down into the earth?

Charmaine wrote:
In books showing Middle eastern homes and  cooling they show the fixed
Windscoops" built  like a tall  "V" shaped  column.  usually of clay, these
angled walls are set to face prevailing winds... the air  is "caught" ,
shoots down the column and cools the home below.  some scoops  are turnable
I would guess... but many are clay brick  fixed n the same direction

I think Amanda could build one like a Periscope -- pop it up in summer, turn
  to face the wind, and stand underneath for a cool air shower   [grin]