[Cob] Linseed oil/Radiant heat floors/tile

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 21 21:57:20 CST 2006

Fired tiles--glazed or not--are a traditional roofing material. They are
both named as suitable for rainwater harvesting--possible that the glazed
ones would give mold algae and lichen less of a foothold.

Seems like Khalili's work on ceramic houses (maybe not with Cal-Earth?) were
basically taking the dome kilns that after some years fired themselves and
extending the idea to firing a dome deliberately and thoroughly.

Denzer's book on cob/dome bread/pizza ovens recommends building them around
a sand--or basket--form.  You might well be able to do it
backwards--smallish cobs arranged to make a dome, then finished with
sand/clay plaster spread thickly on the inside.  That is, the same way dome
houses are usually made where they are traditional.  And then invite all
your friends (not to mention us!) over for pizza and bread, and, as the oven
cools, things like brownies, ending up at three in the morning with
meringues or giant tamales.

Shody wrote:

I sort of intended to build a kiln anyhow. I have "The
Kiln Book". I guess I will make really big strong
floor tiles ... any suggestions? I wanted to make a
cob dome. I wanted to collect rain water from a non
toxic surface. How about a tile exterior with large
tiles that are curved to fit the dome, that sit on, as
well as over-lap the course below, that provide an air
space behind/underneath for the cob to breath? Perhaps
feet that hold the tile off/away from the structure?
Perhaps the dome can be used as a mold and tile can be
made to fit individually? Perhaps clear glass tiles
that can be vented at the top to let heat out? Any
suggestions? I already know of CalEarth’s ceramic
domes and that idea seems like overkill, but I haven’t
decided if a kiln is a waist of energy, or too
extravagant for my style. Perhaps I could use the
plastic used for greenhouses with an airspace for
breathing on the outside of the dome?
Shody