[Cob] Linseed oil/Radiant heat floors/tile

Shody Ryon qi4u at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 21 15:54:36 CST 2006

I sort of intended to build a kiln anyhow. I have "The
Kiln Book". I guess I will make really big strong
floor tiles ... any suggestions? I wanted to make a
cob dome. I wanted to collect rain water from a non
toxic surface. How about a tile exterior with large
tiles that are curved to fit the dome, that sit on, as
well as over-lap the course below, that provide an air
space behind/underneath for the cob to breath? Perhaps
feet that hold the tile off/away from the structure?
Perhaps the dome can be used as a mold and tile can be
made to fit individually? Perhaps clear glass tiles
that can be vented at the top to let heat out? Any
suggestions? I already know of CalEarth’s ceramic
domes and that idea seems like overkill, but I haven’t
decided if a kiln is a waist of energy, or too
extravagant for my style. Perhaps I could use the
plastic used for greenhouses with an airspace for
breathing on the outside of the dome?
Shody