[Cob] RE: historical interest

claysandstraw kindra at claysandstraw.com
Mon Feb 13 19:16:39 CST 2006

Diana -

I was quite suprised myself to learn the extensive history of cob in the
United States during conversations at the Southwest Adobe Conference last
spring in El Rito, NM.  Strangely enough "cob" in the US predates everything
I have heard of in the UK.  In particular, the oldest parts of the Taos
Pueblo, a structure continuously inhabited for the last 800+ years were
built with cob. From what I understand, the construction method we use
today: foot mixing, cob toss etc. more closely resembles the Native American
method than the historic UK method which looked something like "Gaab Cob"
and tractor cob with horses.  There has been some speculation that cob was
the standard construction method for Native Americans of the Southwest until
invaders from Europe introduced sundried blocks as a means of mass
production.

You might find more information if you look for "puddled adobe" which is the
American name for the method we call cob.

-Kindra

Message: 2